30 January 2008

Citrus Crisis


I have long had an aversion to blood oranges, the name is bad enough but when you cut one open they actually look as though blood is running through them and it turns my stomach. I was catching up on some blog reading today and was interested to see that Jane has beaten me to it and written about blood oranges. She too has noticed that they are now called blush oranges so apparently I am not the only person who had a problem with blood oranges. I have seen a lot of recipes lately using blood/blush oranges - all of which sounded delicious if only I could bring myself to cut one open. Last week, when I saw a ruby grapefruit (I don't think I have ever seen a blood grapefruit - perhaps the grapefruit marketing people are more on the ball), I thought I would be able to ease myself gently into overcoming my aversion if I started using red citrus without the blood. So I made a salad using the grapefruit with cucumber, avocado and crumbled feta. It was very good, even if I do say so myself. However, I think I still have a long way to go before I can actually use a blood orange, especially after seeing the pictures Jane has posted which confirm my worst fears about blood oranges - they look as if they are full of blood!

No comments: