26 July 2008

Blast off


I once commented that it was time to drag me and my quilts into the 21st Century. What I didn't expect was that I would end up in outer space!

I have been working on this for some time and it is certainly a big departure from my usual style of quilting. I have been having a love/hate relationship with this quilt.

Some days I loved its bright colours and abstract design - other days I really wondered what I was doing and whether I should continue. It is now finished and quilted and I think I like it.

Because I have been so uncertain about it, I decided that this quilt would be a good one on which to try out free motion machine quilting which I have always wanted to do, but was worried that I would ruin a good quilt if I made a mess of it. As it turned out, it wasn't as difficult as I thought and once I got into a rhythm was good fun.

However, as you can see, my stitches are very uneven so a lot more practice is needed. I also thought the curly quilting would soften the harsh lines of the quilt. I have now decided that the colours of the quilt and those amoeba like quilting outlines have given the quilt more of an underwater look than a celestial one. A good thing too, as I am not yet ready for blast off!

6 comments:

kenn said...

wol``great``

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful - the colours are stunning

Elaine Adair said...

Terrific quilt - great use of scraps (?), effort to go beyond the norm. Your name was mentioned on Heartstringsquilts mail list. So glad I came!

Helen in the UK said...

I'm a big fan of string quilts and this is a BEAUTY!! Congrats :)

Anonymous said...

It's very cool! Nice job.

Cher said...

you can not go wrong with blue and yellow- this quilt looks great.