06 November 2015

Scary stuff

A while ago, I got into my car to drive 'somewhere' and I had only just left the driveway when I suddenly realised that I had no idea where I was going.  For a couple of seconds I was panic-stricken. All I could think about was the book and movie "Still Alice" about an intelligent, vibrant woman who was suffering from early onset Alzheimer's disease.  Was I "Still Di"?  Thank goodness I remembered where I was supposed to be going and it hasn't happened again, but it still terrifies me when I think about it.

A few mornings after that I was on my way to the pool in Claremont for my early morning  swim when I happened to glance at my phone which was on the seat next to me and this is what I saw -



WHAT???  I have never asked Siri to  give me directions to the pool, nor have I entered this activity into my calendar or requested Google maps for directions.  How did 'she'/Google know where I was going.  I swim three mornings a week and I have been monitoring my phone every day since that first morning.  Sure enough, on each of my swimming mornings, when I turn on the car I get a message about how long it is going to take me to get to Claremont and what the traffic situation is.   Not only that, when I get into the car to drive home from the pool, I get this message -



At first I thought, Siri, this is beyond the call of duty but then I remembered that day when I did not know where I was going and I thought that maybe Siri  knew how terrified I was and decided to give me a little nudge so I wouldn't forget where I was supposed to be headed.

Oh this is scary stuff.


No comments: