18 July 2007

The Cook and the Chef

One of my favourite TV shows is The Cook and the Chef with Maggie Beer and Simon Bryant. Maggie is a real inspiration and I love her recipes. She has built up a huge empire and I really admire her enthusiasm, seemingly boundless energy and love for what she does. When John and I were in South Australia recently, the one place I just had to visit was Maggie's Farm Shop. It was winter and cold in the Barossa Valley and at most places we visited we were the only people there. At Maggie's, however, it was standing room only. We had a great picnic style lunch which was delicious and then, as an unexpected bonus, we were able to attend a verjuice cooking demonstration in THE kitchen (unfortunately not conducted by Maggie). For me this was the equivalent of heaven. I think John wondered what all the fuss was about, but he graciously took a photo of me trying to look professional in Maggie's kitchen in her apron which I am not going to post as I look anything but professional with an apron on over my thick coat. Now I am off to watch Maggie and Simon. I wonder what they are cooking tonight.

No comments: