02 July 2014

Toasty toes

I started radiation treatment this week and this will continue every weekday for the next five weeks.  Chemo will continue weekly.  In between hospital visits I have a lot of time on my hands and I am very grateful that I feel well enough and have enough energy to hold knitting needles and crochet hooks and apply my foot to the sewing machine pedal.  All of the above done in a much slower manner than usual, but I am not complaining.

I have just finished another ripple blanket.  This one is for John and me and will keep our toes warm on these cold winter nights.




I have been thinking about the positives of my treatment and, amazingly, there are quite a few.  I do have more time to myself, although admittedly, not always with enough energy to do much.  My hairless state means that the morning ablutions take much less time as I don't have to worry about washing and styling my hair.  I no longer have to shave my legs.  My fingernails have grown stronger.  I am reading a LOT of books.
I have met a lot of lovely people.


Last week I joined a very exclusive club called The Chemo Club.  This is a club run by a local gym for people undergoing cancer treatment.  Twice a week for an hour the club opens its doors so that we can do some gentle exercise under supervision.  I have never been a gym member so I don't know what the atmosphere is like when 'healthy' people are using the facilities.  However, I doubt they have as many laughs and there is as much camaraderie as the ladies in this group have.  As we peddle away on the bikes or pound away on the treadmills, everyone swaps stories and offers encouragement.  What great therapy.


Mum liked the blanket so much she put in a request, so now I have another one on the hook.




No comments: