06 June 2007

Poinsettias

The Poinsettias are flowering so it must be winter time, although you wouldn't know it looking at the brilliant blue of the sky and, while sunny days are wonderful, it would also be wonderful to see some grey rain clouds occasionally.
I have never really looked closely at a poinsettia before and I was staggered when I did. The showy coloured parts of poinsettias that most people think are the flowers are actually coloured bracts (modified leaves).
The flowers or cyathia of the poinsettia are in the centre of the colourful bracts. (Google is a wonderful thing!) At first I thought these cyathia looked like little aliens with their antennae and big yellow mouths and then I was reminded of newly hatched birds with their mouths open hoping for a feed. I almost felt like dropping in a worm or two!

No comments: