10 June 2008

The first of many

I have made what I hope will be the first of many little dresses for the littlest one. (I am not counting the Christening gown.) Mandy and I chose a denim fabric for the dress with a red velvet trim.


I lined the yolk with a Liberty fabric because I thought a double layer of denim would make the dress too bulky. I am happy with the result and she looks adorable wearing it.

The liberty fabric matches the plum buttons perfectly.

I used an oliver & S pattern. These gorgeous patterns are the brainchild of Leisl who writes the Disdressed blog which I like to read. Every pattern comes with a wrap-around sleeve from which you can cut out a little paper doll and dress her with cut out clothes. It made me feel seven years old again when I did this.

You can buy the patterns from Oliver & S in the US, but they are also available from Duckcloth here in Australia and I bought mine here because it arrived faster and being the impatient person I am I wanted it immediately.

We are very excited because Duckcloth is now selling the cut cloth fabrics on line. Check out their great website.


* * * * *

I have been tagged by Michelle at Hathersage Hall. I have never been tagged before and am not really sure I know what it means, but it makes me feel like a real blogger and not just someone who does this for her own fun. Apparently I have to write six unimportant things about me. Well, here's the surprise - everything about me is unimportant, except for the fact that I managed to produce two wonderful daughters and they are very important. Well, here we go...

I love the three fs - family, flowers and fabric. Make that four fs and add food to the list.

I like to be able to go to bed at night knowing that I have achieved something during the day - even if it is only something small.

I love to read and could happily spend all my money in bookshops (after I have spent all my money on fabric, flowers and food).

I have so many projects and books I want to either start or read, I doubt there will be enough time left in my life.

I would love to be able to travel to somewhere fabulous at least once a year.

Roses are my fabourite flowers.

And that gives me a good excuse to post a photo of a rose from my garden which I love - Meg (and because it is a while since I posted a photo of a rose).



Apparently I am now supposed to tag six other people. I hate to be a spoilsport and hope I don't break some sort of chain which will mean I go straight to blogger hell, but I don't feel confident at this stage of my blogging career to do this.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I've been trying to comment for days, my computer has had gremlins!

I, too, could spend all my money in bookstores. I have my husband trained to call my favourite one for gifts!

My head was nodding as I read the comment about too many books and projects and not enough time.

The picture of your 'Meg' rose made me smile. Those are my initials. I think I'll try to find it (and beg my stepfather to help me keep it alive!).

Thanks for sharing.

X
Michelle

Michelle said...

Oh, the Oliver & S dress looks gorgeous on your grandaughter. I've been drooling over that pattern, great to see it made up.

X
Michelle

Elisa Morrison said...

I found your blog through the Oliver+s newsletter. I really enjoyed your posts about yourself; sounds like you have a wonderful peaceful life, and like we have some common interests. Happy sewing! Elisa

Concha said...

I love the dress you made for your little one -- this is a great pattern indeed. And such a nice lining!